Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 15: New Horizons

June 7, 2012

     I've been listening to podcasts from Dave Ramsey and Dan Miller trying to find the inspiration to kick off a new life for me and my family.  Corporate America and I just don't see eye to eye.  It's not that I'm against having a "J.O.B" it's just that I'm not happy working for "the man".  I want the freedom to do as my family needs me too and still be able to provide for them.

      I can't tell you how many time I've told someone that I'm trying to make a living while being a handyman and they look at me like I have a third eye growing out of my forehead.  It can be so disappointing to see the looks of disappointment of your families face while your trying to tell them about your dreams.  It SUCKS!

     And that is why I've started seeking an answer among those people who have done just that.  Those guys that have become successful doing just the thing I want to do.  Find my passion and make an amazing living at it.  Dave and Dan are just the beginning of my journey that I hope to make in to something great.  In Dan's podcast from 5/4/2012 he mentioned another coach by the name of Dan Sullivan and his web site www.strategiccoach.com.  On Sullivan's web site he makes available an 18 page manual titled "How to Get to the Top and Stay There: 10 Strategies for Developing a Multiplier Mindset" for FREE.  I LOVE free stuff! :-)  Anyway, Sullivan gives 10 steps to follow to reach a Multiplier Mindset as he calls it.  I am following step 1 that asks the question 
 "If we were meeting here three years
from today, looking back over those three
years, what has to have happened, both
personally and professionally, for you to
feel happy with your progress?"

     Well... Let me try to answer that with you as I type.  I can see S and T out of the house, M in high school, A and C nervous about starting middle school and C still in grammar school.  The feeling of responsibility for the children's higher education seems to weigh heavy on my mind.  It's not that I feel like it's solely my responsibility but I feel like I want to help them as much as I can and if I'm not in a place of financial readiness then I'll be in a worse place than my parents were.  I didn't get much encouragement from them when it came to college. 

     As far as our life style or station in life I want to see us in a homestead that will provide a place for us to be comfortable with some land to garden and allow plenty of space for the children to grow with the surroundings that we grew up with in the country in the '80s.  I want to see us in a place or ready to find a place that will allow us to feel at ease and connected to our surroundings. 

     I see Heather and I having a business that brings in nearly as much as we do working for "the man".  I want to have a thriving residual income business to produce income 168 hours a week.  How will I achieve this?  I believe Dan Miller's book "48 Days to the Work You Love" will help me focus all of these 10,000 ideas I have rolling around in my head and start one on the road to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment